What is the National Firearms Act?

The NFA was originally enacted in 1934. Similar to the current NFA, the original Act imposed a tax on the making and transfer of firearms defined by the Act, as well as a special (occupational) tax on persons and entities engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, and dealing in NFA firearms. The law also required the registration of all NFA firearms with the Secretary of the Treasury. Firearms subject to the 1934 Act included shotguns having barrels less than 18 inches in length, rifles having barrels less than 16 inches in length, certain firearms described as “any other weapons,” machine guns, and firearm mufflers and silencers.

What Is Considered An NFA Weapon Or Item?

NFA firearms (also called NFA weapons) are certain guns and accessories regulated by the National Firearms Act. They are often referred to as “Class 3 weapons.” NFA firearms include:

  • All fully automatic and select fire weapons.
  • Short barreled shotguns and rifles.
  • Silencers and suppressors.
  • Machine guns (manufactured before 1986)
  • AOW’s (any other weapons)

What Is An NFA Transfer?

The term “transfer” is broadly defined by the NFA to include “selling, assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of” an NFA firearm.

 Transfers of NFA items such as suppressors, machine guns and short-barreled rifles must be documented by the appropriate ATF forms. Dealer to dealer transfers are documented by ATF. Individual to dealer, dealer to individual or individual to individual transfers must also be documented by ATF.

Looking For A Class III NFA Dealer Near You in Kansas?

Centerfire Shooting Sports in Olathe Kansas is your One-Stop-Shop for suppressors and all NFA items. When you purchase or transfer an NFA item through us, we can help you with the following services:

  • Professionally filling out your paperwork
  • Electronic signature of your forms
  • Passport sized photos
  • Digital fingerprinting 

What Is The NFA Transfer Process?

Centerfire Shooting Sports is a Class III Dealer and can facilitate your NFA Transfers, as well as help you with the NFA paperwork once your item arrives. If you purchase an NFA Item, the seller will need our FFL/SOT information. Please give us their contact information so we can forward them our licenses.

In order to start the NFA Transfer process it is best to visit our store in Olathe, KS. We have a kiosk that will specifically assist you in the process and this is the fastest way to get the NFA Transfer processed. You will need the following documentation in order to get started so make sure you bring all the required documentation listed below.

Required Documents:

  • Fingerprints: S.I.D. Kiosk
  • Signature: S.I.D. Kiosk, Silencer Shop Mobile App, or Website
  • Customer Profile: S.I.D. Kiosk, Silencer Shop Mobile App, or Website
  • Email address
  • Physical address
  • Phone number
  • Personal Information: S.I.D. Kiosk, Silencer Shop Mobile App, or Website
  • Gender
  • Date of birth
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Photo: Silencer Shop Mobile App

What Does An NFA Transfer Cost?

An NFA Transfer through Centerfire Shooting Sports costs only $100 for NFA Transfers.

What Are The NFA Transfer Wait Times?

Wait times supplied by BATFE are estimates. Centerfire Shooting Sports has no control over the length of time BATFE requires to process your application. Presently, BATFE estimates approximately 8-10 months for approval. Again, this is just an estimate and may differ due to scenarios at BATFE.